Attorney Visitation at OPSO
- Attorney/inmate consultations are allowed seven days per week ONLY during the hours listed below.
- Attorneys should notify the facility at least 1 hour in advance of arrival time, to assist the facility to provide better service.
- If an attorney does not contact the facility at least one hour prior to the scheduled consultation time, wait times may be longer.
- An attorney may request to meet with no more than 3 inmates per visit.
- Attorneys are permitted to meet with an inmate for an unlimited duration during visitation hours.
- An attorney must present his/her photo identification and a valid Louisiana Bar Association card to gain admittance for an attorney visit.
- Visitors are not allowed during attorney/inmate consultations.
- Contact consultations between attorneys and inmates will be permitted, upon the request of an attorney, at all facilities.
- Attorneys requesting contact visits with inmates housed at facilities where accommodations for contact visits do not exist must provide at least 4 hours of advance notice to the facility Watch Commander, to permit the inmate to be transported to a facility which can accommodate contact visits. A contact visit is defined as a meeting between an attorney and an inmate in the same room unobstructed by partitions, bars, or other barriers. The Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office may provide non-contact visit areas to avoid undue burden on the Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office or excessive wait times by other attorneys. Contact visits will be permitted if an attorney states that a contact visit is necessary. An appropriate wand search of attorneys before any contact visit may be conducted.
- No cell phones, cameras, recorders, computers or electronic devices are allowed in the jail visitation area without the express approval of the facility Warden or the Sheriff.
- All of the general rules for visitors also apply to attorney/client consultations.
- For access to individual facilities, please refer to the following:
Orleans Justice Center (OJC)
Monday - Sunday
8:00am-6:30pm - (0800-1830)
7:30pm-9:00pm - (1930-2100)
Attorney visits are scheduled by appointments.
Walk ins will be accommodated as space is available.
Communications - 504-202-9339
OPSO Main Communications:
The main communications number is being made available as a secondary contact when building specific contacts are not available.
Medical Inmate Advocate
If you have a medical question about an inmate, call the Medical Inmate Advocate at 504-202-9451.
The Medical Inmate Advocate is an experienced OPSO nurse who will investigate your concern and call you back. If you wish to provide medical information about an inmate, call the Medical Inmate Advocate. Medical confidentiality is maintained, but your concerns will be addressed.504-202-9451