NEW ORLEANS - 08-04-2016 (Updated)
Orleans Parish Sheriff Marlin Gusman has selected the members of the OPSO's Evaluation Panel that will assist the Sheriff in his selection of the OPSO Compliance Director.
The Sheriff's Evaluation Panel includes:
- U.S. Representative Cedric Richmond (D-LA)
- Attorney General Jeff Landry, State of Louisiana
- District Attorney Leon A. Cannizzaro, Jr., Orleans Parish
- Sheriff Newell Normand, Jefferson Parish
- Rafael C. Goyeneche III, President, The Metropolitian Crime Commission
- Morris Reed, President of the NAACP New Orleans Chapter
- Erica McConduit-Diggs, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Urban League of Greater New Orleans
- Pat Bryant, Civil Rights Advocate, Justice and Beyond
- Reverend Willie Gabel, Pastor of the Progressive Baptist Church and Interdominational Ministerial Alliance in New Orleans,
- Dr. Crispus S. Gordon, Jr., President of the Louisiana Missionary Baptist State Convention and Pastor of New Zion Baptist Church in New Orleans
- Kimya Holmes, Capital Defense Attorney
- Steven Kennedy, Urban Planner
- Krystina Jones, Housing Specialist
- Sheila Danzey, Sheila Danzey & Assoc.
"I appreciate the commitment that each of these community leaders is making to assist the Orleans Parish Sheriff's Office in our continued progress to operate in the best interests of public safety and our community. This is a diverse group of leaders with diverse points of view, from law enforcement and policymaking to faith-based leadership and community engagement. I look forward to working with all of them," said Sheriff Marlin Gusman.
The Sheriff's Evaluation Panel's primary focus is to vet candidates for the Compliance Director position by reviewing their qualifications and conducting interviews. The panel will make a recommendation to the Sheriff prior to the Sheriff's final decision.
The parties in the consent decree, including the City of New Orleans, have until Friday, Aug. 5, 2016, to present the names of three compliance director candidates to Sheriff Gusman.
Two candidates were interviewed on Monday August 15, 2016 by OPSO's Evaluation Panel and the Staff. In addition to the interviews, both candidates toured Orleans Justice Center (OJC).